Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Humor

ppffffffffff

“Vivi” farts loud and long, dead center of our amphitheatrical two-story riad. Her bodily functions usually ignored to-a-fault, I can’t help but join in when her daughter doubles over laughing, beside her mother and between the echo-prone tile.

“Shooma,” “Vivi” scolds in reply, “Shooma!” Shame.

I hear “Siddelee” outside my room, our laughter trickling into chuckles as “Vivi” continues to scuttle around the indoor clothesline, whispering about shame under her breath.

Pulling my bedroom curtain aside, the creases of her face shift topographically. “Shooma,” she tells me, and I assume I am being lectured for making fun. “Alaysh?” Why, I ask.

My ancient, dentured mother breaths in and verbally trumpets her best fart imitation. That was shameful, she allows, smile-creases pinching. “La!” I argue, “Laysa shooma, Mama Haja. Laysa!” I don't want her to feel embarrassed.

Her eyes glint and she smiles. “Zwena?” she counters, beautiful?

And then I laugh. I laugh because this woman is exactly one million years old. I laugh because I am speaking in Arabic about farting and because of the innocence of her “zwena?” imploration. I laugh because I am on the coast of Morocco and I am growing old before my peers and because I am ridiculous, everything is ridiculous.


Last night the second-floor girls giggled, internet sticks poised phallically from their laptops. Waiting for my valerian root to kick in, I read The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2009.

“I said he was a stubborn control freak and a know-it-all… and I said that people like us are so afraid to relinquish control that sometimes the only way we can force ourselves to open up and change is to bring ourselves to an access of misery and the brink of self-destruction.”
- Jonathan Franzen

A few days post-fart, I bought a frosted cake, primped in pastel marzipan. I wrapped the framed Arabic verse in graph paper, a gift for my family, my pieces of tape irregular and jagged. Then I said good-bye. The home-stay was over, it was Independent Study time.

Twelve American girls in one house. Three salons. Two bedrooms. Two toilets. One Turkish. Two kitchens. One fridge.

Economically-speaking, it was a steal. When we aren’t boarding additional girls for the night, the original dozen is each paying a grand total of 29.76 DH per night.

Roughly equivalent to $3.92 US.

Granted the second-floor bathroom flooded first day. The single stove had a gas leak the first night. We no longer have any light source in the stove/fridge-kitchen, making dinner preparation a nightly adventure. There are no doors and riads pass sound like it’s their job. The toilets must be manually flushed. And the staircase is precarious enough to make you dizzy during each ascension.
She is eccentric, our little house.

But in comparison to past residences, she is divinity. We have hot water, a way to make food hot, a way to make food cold. There are chairs to sit on and tables to eat at. The salon sofas are soft. There are working electrical outlets. And the water-line along the high first-floor walls, which I swear is growing as the upstairs bathroom sweats, is only slightly disarming.

I would endure far worse for four bucks a night… hell I’ve endured far worse for MORE than that.

Now I spend days migrating. Bed to table. Write. Translate. Riad to library. Email. Translate. Riad to survey-pick-up or field observation or vegetable souk.

I eat fresh yellow apples from the vendor down the street, their skins freckled and without a single bruise. Elongated green bell pepper and fat minced onion in my omelets. Spinach salads dipped in balsamic vinegar. I buy peanuts in burlap sacks by the half-kilo, soft and earthy in their lack of salt. Fresh cuts of supple red-waxed cheese. Peanut butter sandwiches. No need to stock-up on supplies, instead we shop daily, always filling our Tupperware and too-small fridge with the freshest produce, new slabs of meat.

We instituted rules obviously. But I spent Friday afternoon chopping up another resident’s poop with a long stick when it clogged the Turkish. And then I had to do it again Saturday. Cause the other option was... Oh right, there was none. And then Sunday I walked into the upstairs kitchen and about vomited at the utter absence of any semblance of order or basic cleanliness.

House meeting that night; I wasn’t laughing.


Pics posted under "Homes"
http://picasaweb.google.com/sarah872014591

No comments:

Post a Comment