Sunday, November 15, 2009

Halwa

“AJ” greets me now.

HelloSarhowareyou.

Coming into the dining room, he sees the scattering of paper. I’m arranging my surveys; print, pile, staple. He asks me if it’s for school. “Bahath-ee”, I respond, my research. Laying his hand on the nearest pile, my 15-year-old brother says, “Beautiful.”

Classes are over now. We had our Arabic final a week ago and now focus 100% of our time on our independent study projects. The composition of my survey complete, I waited and waited for “Tony” to buy “huber” for the printer since we were long out.

After a week he did. And I used it all up in a single night.

(since I had been waiting forEVER I had a back-order of things I needed to print off. don’t look at me like I’m some ink-glutton…)

In case you are interested, below is a condensed version of my questionnaire translated from Arabic to English for your reading pleasure:

TRANSCRIBED SURVEY (#2)

[TITLE PAGE]


TITLE: Survey: What is the meaning of the word “beautiful” in Oman in your opinion?

[INTRODUCTORY PAGE]

DESCRIPTION: In the University of Denver in America, I study Political Science and Psychology. Now I am studying abroad in the School for International Training: World Learning in Muscat. Here I am studying beauty in Oman and I am researching about what women think the word “beauty” means. There is little information on beauty in Oman now, thus I am exploring this topic and I want your opinion about beauty. If you have 20 minutes free and you would like to help then you can complete this survey for me. Thank you for your help!

DISCLAIMER:
Note:
You must be a female over 18 years of age
It’s necessary to understand that your answers will be used in my research but your identity will remain confidential
My final research paper will be seen by my academic director and project advisor, will be presented before an audience, and will be public for any who would like to read it
If you don’t want to answer a question then avoid this question.
If you want to stop the survey because of any reason then stop.
If you have questions, ask me.

INFO:
Today’s date:
Age:
Birthplace:
Address:
Occupation:
Are you married?
What languages do you speak?
How many hours of television did you watch in the past week?
How many fashion magazines did you read in the past month?
How many days did you go to the salon in the past month?

[PAGE 1]

NOTE: Answer with an (x) for the choice that is relative in your opinion
HEADER: Trait - Ugly - Not beautiful - Average - Beautiful - Very beautiful

Thin body:
Jewelry:
Red hair:
Big eyes:
Uni-brow:
Short (height):
Hairless body and face:
Light makeup:
Dark skin:
Henna:
Black eyes:

NOTE: In your opinion, who is beautiful?
For example: your friends, or women in your family, or famous women…
Q/A: Who:
Why:

[PAGE 5]

PIC 1 Q/A: This woman is: Ugly - Not beautiful - Average - Beautiful - Very beautiful
Why:
PIC 2 Q/A: This woman is: Ugly - Not beautiful - Average - Beautiful - Very beautiful
Why:

[PAGE 6]

PART 1: Do you think that BLONDE HAIR is beautiful in your opinion?:
Why?:
Do you have this characteristic?:
How do you feel about having this characteristic or not?:

PART 2: Do you think that FEMALE CIRCUMCISION is beautiful in your opinion?:
Why?:
Do you have this characteristic?:
How do you feel about having this characteristic or not?:

There are a total of TWENTY-EIGHT traits on [Page 1] in the actual survey, wherein the participant is asked to judge the relative “beauty” of each.
There are a total of FOUR pages similar to [Page 5] in the actual survey, all with photographs of women on the spectrum somewhere between what would be considered “highly Western” to “highly Arab”.
There are a total of THREE pages similar to [Page 6] in the actual survey, each with two traits that the participant is asked to expand upon.

Last week I baked a pear pie. Carrefour had the glass dishes and I took over the kitchen, squeezing lemons and sprinkling cinnamon with thin scales of pear skins on my palms. And it was delicious; “Meadow” spoons out little craters from its center, tucking them into a small plastic bowl that she holds against her chest. Next time I’ll do apple.

She squeezed the dark olive paste onto her fingers, smearing it across her forehead and round cheeks. Preparation began at 5pm but we didn’t arrive at the wedding till after 9. “‘Hunter’, she speak English too much. She doesn’t speak Arabic like you.”

Every other word is still a struggle, but I am honored and so humbled. It’s like a weight has been lifted. I don’t know how to explain it but I’m at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment