Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Toilet is an Elephant

Gulf facilities are not built to handle toilet paper. Some combination of the absence of water and the lack of overall toilet horsepower contribute to this, thus it is generally accepted that toilet paper should not end up inside the toilet… But although I am no bidet virgin, it was still slightly unnerving to see a three-foot hose and nozzle beside the ol’ loo when first using the airport facilities. The hose was nearly identical to what one would find retracting from their kitchen sink in mid-America, with the exact same squeeze-to-spray feature. But we ain’t washin dishes. After only the slightest hesitation, I closed the stall door behind me and looked warily down at the water droplets coating the seat. My initial reasoning was that each pot came with her own personal washing system to make janitorial tasks more efficient. In reality, the whole system is pretty practical. The toilets can’t deal with paper thus one sprays with their right and washes with their left, drying themselves with the available tissue which can then be thrown in the trash can. Like most things I have encountered so far, my hose only seemed strange or inefficient until I learned the reasoning behind it. Plus it looks pretty baller.

No comments:

Post a Comment